Wednesday 9 April 2014

Sending a Little Bit of Happiness

I've got a very good friend, Nadia, who told me about her friend who's soon to be heading to Africa to work on a project building a hospital.  When she was telling me about the project, it sounded so exciting, and I knew that even though I couldn't be there (this time!) I wanted to do something to make a small difference.  

So I had an idea to make some simple, but multicoloured bunting, that can be hung in the hospital and hopefully bring a small bit of comfort to those who stay there.  


Time's tight at the moment, so I knew that if I wanted this to happen, I'd have to draft in reinforcements.  In this case, it was in the form of Nadia, who has never even as much as sewn on a button, let alone made bunting.  So she was on triangle drawing duty, and I was on pinking shears duty.  

 

We decided that we wanted to make as much bunting as possible in the 2 short mornings that we had, and after thinking we could make 9 metres, we decided to push ourselves and go for a full on 12 metres...that's 48 flags.  We were certainly feeling determined!

Here's Nadia with all 48 ready to be sewn.



That's when she handed over the reins to me; I jumped on my Bernina and sewed like mad, in between trying to keep my 2 year old happy.  I think that was the most challenging bit about this whole project!


Sadly time got the better of us, and on day 2 school pick up came around faster than you can say '3 o'clock.' Luckily I managed to finish the last bit of sewing in the afternoon, and take some photos while the sun was shining.









Don't all those colours look so pretty against the blue skies?  It all looks so calm and peaceful in my garden.  But I just have to share the reality of this photo shoot...


In the absence of Nadia, I had to draft in assistance from the under 5's!!

I can't wait for it to arrive at the hospital in Africa.  I hope to get more specific details about the project soon and share them with you.  The fab thing is Nadia's friend doesn't even know we've made the bunting yet, I hope she can squeeze it into her suitcase!

Thank you for stopping by,

Sarah x

Linking up with:

Sew Much Ado

6 comments:

  1. Sarah that is so awesome! I wish I could have been there to help you sew them up! Although you would have had to teach. I've never made buntings! Great job!
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea, well done ladies (and gents) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful,what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a thoughtful person Sarah, that was a great idea, and I doubt if there would be anyone who wouldn't be uplifted with all those lovely happy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea! And well done on getting so many flags made in such a short space of time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet project and great cause. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love to hear from you and will reply soon!